About Us

Williamsons began life on Saturday 31st October 1959, when a very courageous and far sighted Winifred Williamson bought a very old and dilapidated hardware shop at 4 Crookes Road in Broomhill. Her husband. Sidney, was about to become unemployed and this little shop was intended to keep bread on the family table until he found a new career. Much to her dismay, within a few months, Sidney  joined her and the partnership of S & W Williamson was formed. The first week’s turnover was £30, unfortunately her overheads were also £30!

The original shop at 4 Crookes Road, Broomhill    

Sons Jonathan and Andrew joined the business which grew steadily throughout the course of the next 25 years and moved location accordingly numerous times. As we pulled out of the recession in 1984 the shop was moved into it's largest home to date, at 222 Fulwood Road. This brave move culminated in Williamson Hardware being presented with the national Retailer of The Year Award in 1986.

After 28 successful years in number 222,  the business underwent a refreshing facelift as it moved into a lovely new premises just next door at number 220 in January 2013.

Over the years Williamson Hardware have pioneered many aspects of retailing and merchandising and have always given customers the good value and service demonstrated by Winifred Williamson back in 1959.

Below: The store as it stands today.

Take a virtual tour of the shop below!


View Larger Map

Shop opening hours:

Monday to Saturday: 9:00am to 5:30pm

Sunday: 10:30am to 4:00pm